linux ioctls not implemented - advice?

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Tue Jul 24 19:46:30 UTC 2007

I'm trying to get the latest Linux remote agent for Backup Exec to run on a
FreeBSD-amd64 machine. The exact version is RALUS-11d.7170.2, although I
suspect any 10d or 11d version would be the same.

After trying a few things (including installing on a real Linux host) I was
able to identify and extract the files containing the two rpm's that are
actually installed. I ran those through rpm2cpio and got a simple directory
layout. I duplicated the directory structure and config file from the Linux
host and ran the main executable. (The init script tries (and fails, even
after I fixed all the hardcoded paths) to do some housekeeping, but none of
it is necessary for the thing to actually run.)

The executable seems to run okay and the host even shows up as a Unix target
on the (Windows) Backup Exec server, but I'm unable to authenticate or do any
backups. Looking through the system messages I saw these:

linux: pid 4080 (beremote): ioctl fd=6, cmd=0x8938 ('\M^I',56) is not
implemented
linux: pid 4080 (beremote): ioctl fd=6, cmd=0x8938 ('\M^I',56) is not
implemented
linux: pid 4080 (beremote): ioctl fd=6, cmd=0x8933 ('\M^I',51) is not
implemented
linux: pid 4080 (beremote): ioctl fd=6, cmd=0x8933 ('\M^I',51) is not
implemented
linux: pid 4080 (beremote): ioctl fd=6, cmd=0x8933 ('\M^I',51) is not
implemented
linux: pid 4080 (beremote): ioctl fd=6, cmd=0x8933 ('\M^I',51) is not
implemented

Two attempts to use ioctl 0x8938 and four attempts to use ioctl 0x8933 every
time I start the executable (regardless of login attempts).

The message is fairly explanatory; my question is what can I do about it? Is
there a canonical list of Linux ioctls anywhere that would tell me what this
binary is trying to do? From the behavior I'm seeing and from looking at
linux_ioctl.h I suspect that they belong in the "socket" category, but that's
as far as I've gotten.

Thanks for any tips, etc.

JN