mini-heads-up: linuxulator fixes (Fw: cvs commit: src/sys/amd64/linux32 linux.h linux32_machdep.c linux32_sysvec.c syscalls.master src/sys/compat/linprocfs linprocfs.c src/sys/compat/linux linux_misc.c src/sys/i386/linux linux.h linux_machdep.c linux_sysvec.c)

Ariff Abdullah ariff at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jul 8 14:42:35 UTC 2007

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 14:49:47 +0200
Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at Leidinger.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I MFCed some fixes to the linuxulator today. One major change is
> correcting the handling of the linux mmap function. This may break
> some not so good programmed audio programs (mostly some few bad
> behaving games). If you get hit by this, don't be afraid. The MFC of
> a change to the sound system (and an entry to UPDATING) will be done
> "soon" by Ariff.

Technically, this is not the fault of that particular audio apps.
Latest mmap changes in linuxlator apparently force PROT_EXEC mapping
on all _typical_ mmap invocations, and this affecting not just sound,
but bktr(4) as well. Well, bktr a bit lucky since I haven't encounter
any linux-binary + bktr apps.

Anyway, I've added sysctl hw.snd.compat_linux_mmap, where it is
disabled by default.

linux mmap breakage:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-June/073437.html

solution:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-src/2007-July/080531.html

--
Ariff Abdullah
FreeBSD

... Recording in stereo is obviously too advanced
    and confusing for us idiot ***** users :P ........