[PANIC]: a showstopper before switch to 2.6

Divacky Roman xdivac02 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz
Mon Jan 29 14:29:35 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 06:32:30PM -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> As near as I can determine, this only happens if I set the sysctl
> compat.linux.osrelease to 2.6.16.
>
> This is on a system running CURRENT
>
> (7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Thu Jan 25 20:30:57 EST 2007)
>
> When I close linux opera, a zombied process remains.  The parent PID is
> 1.
>
> Each time I open and then close opera, one and sometimes two, zombied
> processes remain.

I have like 8 zombies or something... and some plugin thing is coredumping.

the worse thing is that it lets me kldunload linux while those zombies
are running and then it panics... this looks very bad. can someone confirm
this behaviour:

set 2.6 emulation (sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16)
run opera
exit opera
ps ax to see if there are zombies left (in my case they were descendant
of tcsh - fbsd tcsh)
kldunload linux
PANIC :)

I was running p4 src but I am sure plain -current is vulnerable too. This is
a showstopper for the planned switch to default 2.6 emulation in -current.
I plan to work on it "soon" (this thursday or weekend hopefully). I already solved
all LORs I am aware of so I fully focus on this. I hope to get most of the fixes
commited this week (thursday).

scott thank you for the report

roman