Mozilla-linux-gtk1 doesn't work with linux-xorg-libs

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Sat May 13 14:31:12 UTC 2006

On Sat, 13 May 2006 11:15:15 +0800 mag at intron.ac wrote:

>      The RPM "xorg-x11-deprecated-libs" takes its effects! Both
> Firefox-linux-gtk2 1.0.7 and Mozilla-linux-gtk1 work now. Thanks, Boris.

Glad to hear it. Thank you for your feedback.

>      Actually, quite a few days ago, I had found that Firefox-linux-gtk2
> 1.0.7 reported that it requires "libXp.so.*" while Mozilla-linux-gtk1
> hung up quietly only. But since I prefer Mozilla-linux-gtk1 for its better
> display of both oriental and western language fonts and eager to solve it,
> I ignored Firefox-linux-gtk2 1.0.7's prompt.

>      Boris, could you tell me how you found that Mozilla-linux-gtk1 also
> needs "libXp.so.*" though it keeps quiet for that? It seems that only
> "libgfxxprint.so" and "libgfx_gtk.so" needs "libXp.so.*". On the other
> hand "firefox-bin" (version 1.0.7) needs "libXp.so.*" itself and dynamic
> linker can report on lacking of "libXp.so.*".

I used ktrace/kdump and realized that bad things did occure when
libXp.so was not found. Then I used google with "libxp.so"
keyword. Second link was to the fedoracore forum where the problem
(since FC3) and the solution was showed. Then it wasn't too hard to
find the needed rpm at MASTER_SITE_FEDORA_LINUX. ;-)

>      I have modified Boris's patch to avoid forcing user to install
> source RPM. See attachment in this mail.

Actually, yes, the patch I sent you was not very clean. First of all I
tried to solve the problem to you, and the patch was not intended to
go to CVS without cleaning.

I cleaned it and was waiting for your feedback to send my cleaned
version of the patch to Alexander. Now I'm doing it.

Mag, your patch is good. Hence, you may not use "if defined
PACKAGE_BUILDING" because it is already at bsd.linux-rpm.mk.

>      Alexander, I believe you may commit Boris's patch now.

Alexander, here is the patch I propose to commit.

>      P.S. current "x11/linux-xorg-libs" is just from Fedora Core 4 while
> the focused port "emulators/linux_base-fc3" is part of Fedora Core 3.

Yea, now I understand what did you mean by "(FC3 and 4)".

WBR
--
Boris B. Samorodov, Research Engineer
InPharmTech Co,     http://www.ipt.ru