linux_base Gentoo.

Thu May 11 11:55:06 UTC 2006

Quoting kama <kama at pvp.se> (from Thu, 11 May 2006 10:14:25 +0200 (CEST)):

> Why do we not use gentoo as the default linuxbase?
>
> Its so easy to set up, no dependencies. This is how I install it. (No
> port needed)
>
> fetch
> ftp://mirror.of.choice/pub/os/gentoo/releases/x86/2006.0/stages/stage3-x86-2006.0.tar.bz2
>
> mkdir /compat/linux
> cd /compat/linux
> tar xjpf /path/to/stage3-x86-2006.0.tar.bz2
> cp /etc/resolv.conf etc
>
> Thats it.

Did you tried to use acroread (and does it find the right lpr binary)?
Did you made sure the right devices are accessed? I can assure you,
that there's more to it than just unpacking a linux distro into
/compat/linux.

> After that you can 'chroot /compat/linux /bin/bash' and start using
> emerge to install portages. I have not used emerge to compile a new kernel

That's (providing a complete linux system) not the purpose of the
default linux base port. The purpose of the default linux base port is
to provide an environment, where we can run most linux programs
(together with the help of some other linux infrastructure ports).
That's not "all" linux programs on purpose! It's the same reason why
we don't install GNOME or KDE or <whatever> by default.

> and world yet. Dont know if I never will need that either. rm
> /compat/linux and unpack a newer version of gentoo.
>
> Some things are borken. like, you cant ping from the chrooted env, but
> wget works. We really need to get a updated versions of the linux
> syscalls. Unfortunately I dont have the knowledge and time to get into
> that work. (As most of the peoples)

We have several proposals in the Google Summer of Code for this. We're
in the process of reviewing them.

> I have used this setup for quite some time now (a year or so) and use it
> when developing linuxbinaries. I also run gameservers with this
> installation method.

If you don't like the default linux base, you don't have to use it.
And you are free to submit your own ports. But if you want to send in
a linux base replacement, I suggest you make yourself familiar with
the way the current linux ports work (feel free to ask questions here).

> At least we will get rid of the compatibility problems with binaries not
> working anymore on the old linuxbases.

We're in the QA process of an update of the default linux base to
Fedora Core 3. We haven't used a newer one to no break something. When
FC3 is the new default, work will be spend on updating to a newer FC
release. FC5 is out of the loop ATM, since it doesn't work with the
current kernel part of the linuxolator. ATM we're evaluating if it is
possible to use FC4 until the kernel part is updated.

CPU needs bearings repacked