vmware3 on FreeBSD 4.11 and 5.4

Rodney W. Grimes freebsd at gndrsh.dnsmgr.net
Tue Jan 24 15:59:08 PST 2006

I like others have run into the problems of getting vmware working
on FreeBSD 4.11 and 5.4.  I havent seen a posted solution anyplace
so I went to work on good old regresion testing to find out when
it broke so I could find what broke it.

I pretty much have it down to the update of ports/emulators/linux_base,
if you use the old linux_base-7.1_7 code you can get a working vmware
built.

In the process of doing all this I found some other things that
should be cleaned up.  Like the fact that vmware3 requires perl to build,
it is not listed as a build dependency.

The pkg-message still refers to vmware.sh insteead of 001.vmware.sh

Not sure where I saw that it is broken for SMP, the truth is if you
have APIC compiled your in trouble too.

And can someone explain why this port now installs into /usr/X11R6????
it is not part of X11, or have things changed so that now all X apps
install into the X tree?

Note that I am not on the mailing list, so please CC me
--
Rod Grimes