linprocfs and linux_base port upgrade

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Tue Feb 21 13:07:03 PST 2006

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 03:52:05PM +0300, Boris Samorodov wrote:
> Hi!
>

> Assume that one has a linux_base port installed and linprocfs is
> mounted. The task is to upgrade the linux_base port. We do:
>   - Un-mounting linprocfs;
>   - deletting /compat/linux (along /compat/linux/proc);
>   - ...
>
> The problem: a short period of time (well, it may be not so short
> accoring to various curcumstances) exists when there _is no_
> /compat/linux/proc directory and linprocfs _is_ defined at
> /etc/fstab. If something goes wrong when upgrading (system panic, port
> upgrading errors, etc) one can get an unbootable machine.
>
> I think that a linux_base port should:
>   - comment the linprocfs definition right after removing
>     /compat/linux/proc directory;
>   - remove the comment after creating the needed directory.
>
> The comment itself should be a readable and unique one (ie all
> linux_base ports should use the same text). Ex.:
> "#*linux_base autocomment*".
>

> Do you have some other ideas?

Actually, this unmount ... remount situation is pretty evil.  For
example, it prevents users from building linux_base in a jail.  In
fact I'd like to switch to building packages in jails instead of
chroots on the package cluster, but this is the major reason I can't.

Is it possible to avoid this?  e.g. by preventing cpio from recursing
into the /compat/linux/proc directory.

Kris