[Linux] Loading Linux modules in Apache?

jaco at coocoo.za.net jaco at coocoo.za.net
Sun Jun 26 18:42:50 GMT 2005

Hello Vladimir,

> ÷ ×Ó, 26/06/2005 × 19:59 +0200, jaco at coocoo.za.net ÐÉÛÅÔ:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I am trying to load a Linux module in Apache 2.0.53, but I am running
>> into
>> some problems.
>>
>> I am not sure if this is even possible, but I sure hope so. ;)
>
> I guess you have some choices:
>
> - (easyest) Install linux apache and run whole beast under linux
> emulation
> - (much harder) You can try to mix ABI in single binary (just like win
> or mplayer does with windows DLLs) but, it is not easy task
> - write module wrapper for apache, it will consist of two parts - one
> FreeBSD binary (loaded into bsd apache), another - linux  (it part will
> load your linux apache module). Parts should be connected by some IPC
> and apache module interface should be exported via this IPC.
> [...]

Thanks for your reply.

Seems that I really do have a couple of choices. :)

1. This seems like the easyest route. I am just a bit worried about
performance here... I will do a couple of benchmarks though.

2. This will mean that I will have to change source code in either the
module or apache. I think this is going to be really hard. :P Is my
understanding of this correct? (I do not have source for the module)

3. This also sounds like a good option. But, I think this is also going to
be a bit complicated in the end.

I will do some tests on my side. At least I now know this is not possible
the way I wanted to do it.

Thanks!
---Jaco