Patches to allow running multiple vmware3 instances

Sean Welch Sean_Welch at alum.wofford.org
Thu Jul 1 06:05:57 PDT 2004

THANK YOU!  I've been wanting this feature for a very long time now.
I abandoned vmware2 a while back and the lack of this particular
feature has been severely limiting the usefulness of vmware3.

I added in your patches and recompiled.  I do indeed get multiple
vmnet interfaces but I don't seem able to configure them as you show
in your example.  Specifically, I cannot configure the interfaces to
be on the same subnet with the same netmask.  I can have one but not
the other... ??? Your example file suggests you used this
(snip):

vmnet1.Bridged = "NO"
vmnet1.BridgeInterface = ""
vmnet1.HostOnlyAddress = "172.31.254.1"
vmnet1.HostOnlyNetMask = "255.255.255.240"
vmnet2.Bridged = "NO"
vmnet2.BridgeInterface = ""
vmnet2.HostOnlyAddress = "172.31.254.17"
vmnet2.HostOnlyNetMask = "255.255.255.240"

My config file looks like this:

vmware.fullpath = "/usr/local/lib/vmware/bin/vmware"
wizard.fullpath = "/usr/local/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-wizard"
dhcpd.fullpath = "/usr/local/lib/vmware/bin/vmnet-dhcpd"
loop.fullpath = "/usr/local/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-loop"
libdir = "/usr/local/lib/vmware"
vmnet1.Bridged = "NO"
vmnet1.BridgeInterface = ""
vmnet1.HostOnlyAddress = "172.19.20.40"
vmnet1.HostOnlyNetMask = "255.255.255.0"
vmnet2.Bridged = "NO"
vmnet2.BridgeInterface = ""
vmnet2.HostOnlyAddress = "172.19.20.41"
vmnet2.HostOnlyNetMask = "255.255.255.0"

The system complains with this message when attempting to configure
the second instance:

ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists

Any ideas?  I'd love to start using this right away!

Sean