VmWare 3 on FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE

John E Hein jhein at timing.com
Tue Nov 4 08:14:18 PST 2003

Sean Welch wrote at 09:51 -0600 on Nov  4:
 > Yes, I do.
 >
 > NitroPhys$ export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
 > NitroPhys$ xterm
 > xterm Xt error: Can't open display: 127.0.0.1:0.0
 > NitroPhys$

This whole $DISPLAY thread is almost definitely a red herring, but...
Try localhost/unix:0
If you use localhost/unix:0, it will connect using a unix domain
socket instead of a tcp socket.

The probable reason you can't display to localhost:0 (nor `hostname`:0
I suspect) is that your X server is running with -nolisten tcp.  You
can turn that off (it's on by default for security reasons; the
recommended way is to use ssh with X11 port forwarding), but it's
probably not causing your vmware problems, so this is straying off
topic.

That said, I don't know why you are having refresh problems with
vmware3.  I've seen similar problems with vnc, but that's probably not
related.