Vmware3 Networking

Jeff Utter funk at softhome.net
Tue Apr 22 14:35:34 PDT 2003

Hey, i was wondering if anyone has networking working in their VMware3
>From what i understand you must use host-only networking (however, it
can work like bridged by choosing host only) Well i've tried bort
bridged and host only, and neither work.. The error i get with host-only
is as follows:

No host-only IP address was configured for interface vmnet1: no setting
for vmnet1.hostOnlyAddress was found. Failed to configure ethernet0

I HAVE the modules loaded, and the vmware.sh started
i think the problem arises from my ifconfig:

-bash-2.05b$ ifconfig vmnet1
vmnet1: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu
1500
        ether 00:bd:b7:88:00:01

It has no ip configured for it.. it seems like an ip cant' be set
either:

su-2.05b# ifconfig vmnet1 192.168.0.8 netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists

I think the vmware.sh is getting the same problem for when i run it i
get the following errors:

su-2.05b# ./vmware.sh start
ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists

Here is what i get when i try to stop vmware.sh

su-2.05b# ./vmware.sh stop
kldunload: can't unload file: Device busy
ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCDIFADDR): Can't assign requested address

Ok, well that's all the info i've been able to gather, if anyone else
knows any more it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff Utter