Default parameters for NanoBSD

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Sep 10 13:54:06 UTC 2019

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 3:28 AM Fabien Costard <fabien.costard at free.fr>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> This is a question about the default values used for the nanobsd.
> In the current default configuration (defaults.sh), the media size is
> set to 2000000 (NANO_MEDIASIZE=2000000).
> This size (1GB) does not allow to make an image when you follow the
> documentation online.
>
> I know that the purpose of the nanobsd is to make "light" FreeBSD system
> but would it be better to change the default media size when someone
> (like me) try to use and understand it step by step ?
>
> I found the media size have to be 9600000 (around 4.8GB) (to work with 2
> images)
>
> What do you think about it ?

I built an image yesterday, and 1GB was still large enough. What arch were
you doing? What other things went onto the package? FreeBSD itself, without
compilers, should clock in around 300MB.

I have no problem bumping the size. Today it's hard to buy something
smaller than 16GB (though there's a lot of lots of 4GB and 8GB on amazon,
the sweet spot for price has moved to 32GB). It's likely time. I like to
keep it small because the images are copied around and that takes up space.

Warner