EPROM programmers, USB, and FreeBSD

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Jan 6 16:13:01 UTC 2016

I have a 93C66 EEPROM which would be nice to duplicate.  Naturally, I
would prefer to do this on FreeBSD.

Speed or lack of it is not a problem, and I have one or two FTDI
USB/serial TTL adapters that can probably do it in bit-bang mode with
the right software.  Also CH340, CP2102, and old PL2303 (and no more
FTDI stuff since their driver freakout).

Also have the most common Arduino boards and standalone AVRs, and these
can probably do it with little more than connecting the EEPROM.  Buying
a special-purpose board is not out of the question, but I'd rather build
it.  USB is strongly preferred, since few machines have real serial
ports any more.

What software is available for reading and writing EPROMs on FreeBSD?