Making Picostation m2HP work

hiren panchasara hiren.panchasara at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 16:57:07 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 7:02 AM, Outback Dingo <outbackdingo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 7:29 AM, Outback Dingo <outbackdingo at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> AFAIR I had such info when I tried to flash image from RouterStation Pro
>>> to Routerstation. I think that it must be something with firmware header or
>>> firmware format.
>>>
>> I believe its the headers, there is something different about the 2HP that
>> required padding, im digging through data from 4 years ago to find it
>> from when we deployed a ton of these based on OpenWRT, they are different
>> then all others, same with the RS/RSPRO,
>>

> Warning, my brain is dealing with 4 year old information again, YMMV.....
> but maybe some insight will help... I could be offbase,
> Adrian would know best what his mkfwimage supports.
>
> its possible it was different offsets so that the mkfirmware image had to be
> modified to build the correct image, the image you are building requires
> XS2-8 to be correct, I believe the ap91 image is using XS2 and not XS2-8
> ....... Adrian again will have to validate AP91 configuration for XS2-8, or
> create a config that uses it.
I _think_ the difference would be how the board has different things
laid out and we can specify with the hints?

> Okay digging back through this a bit in the UBNT SDK, Yes I still have
> one..... it shows
>         -$(STAGING_DIR_HOST)/bin/mkfwimage \
>                 -B XS2-8 -v XS2.ar2316.OpenWrt.$(REVISION) \
>                 -k $(BIN_DIR)/openwrt-$(BOARD)-vmlinux.lzma \
>                 -r $(BIN_DIR)/openwrt-$(BOARD)-root.$(1) \
>                 -o $(BIN_DIR)/openwrt-$(BOARD)-ubnt2-pico2-$(1).bin
>

> and XS2-8 is for PicosStations built with
> mkfwimage -i XS2-8.txt -v XS2.ar2316.OpenWRT-kamikaze -o
> openwrt-picostation2-squashfs.bin

Yes, I found the same thing in openwrt build scripts. Now, I need to
map this to how we are generating image in Adrian's scripts.

> which required a file called XS2-8.txt
>
> kernel 0x01 0xA8030000 0x000D0000 0x80041000
> 0x80041000 openwrt-vmlinux.lzma
> rootfs 0x02 0xA8100000 0x006C0000 0x00000000
> 0x00000000 .openwrt-vmlinux.squashfs

Yes, I found this reference also as you are describing but this is
part of the SDK and I could not find openwrt build scripts using this.
mkfwimage in the SDK takes this file as an argument and does its job
accordingly.

Thanks a lot for your inputs,
Hiren

/me back to mkfwimage.c