Nanobsd & /boot/loader

Douglas K. Rand rand at meridian-enviro.com
Mon Nov 22 04:08:51 UTC 2010

Brandon> It seems your /etc/fstab is pointing to /dev/ad1s1a for your
Brandon> root filesystem:

Right.

But the problem I'm trying to figure out is why nanobsd.sh builds a
/boot/loader that doesn't seem to work:

Doug> /boot.config:  -h
Doug> Consoles: serial port
Doug> BIOS drive C: is disk0
Doug> BIOS 639kB/523264kB available memory

Doug> FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
Doug> (rand at bygland.randomlights.org, Wed Nov 17 21:01:10 CST 2010)
Doug> \
Doug> \: unknown command
Doug> -
Doug> /boot/kernel/kernel text=0x8c9a23 data=0xde2b4+0xa3fb0 syms=[0x4+0x98450+0x4+0xd0405]
Doug> Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
Doug> Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel] in 8 seconds...

Doug> Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
Doug> OK boot -s
Doug> \

Doug> And then here it simply hangs. I've let it sit for hours and it never
Doug> does anything.

Its the hanging here that I'm trying to fix.

And interestingly it seems that my problem is direclty related to
these lines:

Doug> FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
Doug> (rand at bygland.randomlights.org, Wed Nov 17 21:01:10 CST 2010)
Doug> \
Doug> \: unknown command
Doug> -

It seems that the /boot/loader that nanobsd.sh creates has some
problem that causes device.hints to not be loaded, and then with out
those hints the kernel can't continue. Specifically the hint.uart.0
knobs.

Oh, and fixing /etc/fstab on the CF image still has the same problem
as doing ufs:/dev/da0s1a at the mountroot> prompt:

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a
ROOT MOUNT ERROR:
If you have invalid mount options, reboot, and first try the following from
the loader prompt:

     set vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw

and then remove invalid mount options from /etc/fstab.

Loader variables:
vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/da0s1a
vfs.root.mountfrom.options=ro