USB AVR programmers for FreeBSD 8

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Jan 31 17:18:33 UTC 2010

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010, Ian Smith wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010, Warren Block wrote:
>
> > Has anyone used the USBTiny AVR programmers with FreeBSD 8?  For example:
> >
> > http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9231
>
> I just had a look at this.  If you read through the user comments (and
> the blurb at the top of the page) it seems to be pretty iffy on Mac or
> Linux; even they suggest you might be better off with something like:
>
> http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=ATAVRISP2-ND
>
> Seems to me the extra ~$20 might be well worth it?

Probably, although I'm not looking at doing any volume, just wanting to
experiment.  There are a couple of suggestions in those comments like
adding the zener diodes present in the original design or slowing down
transfers.

The USBasp looks interesting, and it has those zener diodes, but some
comments said it had trouble with USB hubs.

There are also several ways to set up an Arduino as an AVR programmer,
and the additional cost over the USBTiny is low.  The FTDI USB chip on
an Arduino should be pretty robust.  Certainly FreeBSD can talk to it.