cross compiling for freebsd from windows?

Arnold Robbins arnold.robbins at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 11:20:46 UTC 2009

FreeBSD will be running on an embedded system. Apps will have two
components: one on the Windows side and one on the FreeBSD side and they
will communicate with each other. The target audience for whom we want
cross-compilation is windows developers who are used to living inside visual
studio and/or eclipse and we'd like to make it easier to do all the
development (and debugging, if possible) from within one environment.

There is lots of prior art for this sort of thing in the Linux world, nor am
I a Unix newbie. But it looks like it hasn't really been done before for
FreeBSD, and I'd prefer to save myself as much pain as possible. :-)
Virtualization is indeed thecurrent solution, but it'd be nice to bring
things even closer to the developer if possible.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Arnold

--
Aharon (Arnold) Robbins