Booting FreeBSD on MPC8540 eval board

Jacques Fourie jacques.fourie at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 15:37:58 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to get FreeBSD current (checked out the sources yesterday)
to boot on a Freescale MPC8540 evaluation board. After installing a
u-boot snapshot that has the u-boot API used by FreeBSD's ubldr I can
load a FreeBSD kernel but the last message I see on the console is
"Kernel entry at 0x1000100 ...". I have used the default MPC85XX
kernel configuration file when compiling the FreeBSD kernel. For
u-boot I added CONFIG_API and CFG_CMD_ELF to
include/configs/MPC8540EVAL.h

Unfortunately my debugging setup is not as complete as I would like it
to be - struggling to get the CodeWarrior USB Tap working - so
debugging this problem is a bit difficult at the moment. Is the kernel
console support working for this platform?

Jacques