FreeBSD on a CompactFlash

Gilles gilles.ganault at free.fr
Sun Mar 9 02:05:03 UTC 2008

Hello

	After giving CF-based distros a try to run an Asterisk PBX, the
conclusion is that they're nice... as long as the apps they offer are
fine with you... which they aren't, so, if possible, I'd like to use a
regular FreeBSD distro, so I can install whatever application I need.

At this point, I seem to have understood that there are two ways to do
this:

- use a reduced FreeBSD that's been built from the get-go to run off a
CF card (ie. it's small, and doesn't trash the card with too many
write accesses)

- install FreeBSD on the server, and run a script like nanoBSD that
will build a compact image, ready to be dd'ed to the card.

Am I correct? Are there tips and traps to know about before giving it
a go?

Thank you.