Low cost ARM9 SoC board - NSD100/NCB3AST

Rafal Jaworowski raj at semihalf.com
Sat Jun 7 17:21:34 UTC 2008

Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> Ian Smith wrote:
>> You're not keeping up :)  Linux 2.6 startup with a dmesg / session:
>>
>> http://tinyhack.com/2008/06/05/porting-linux-kernel-26254-to-star-str9100-agestar/
>
> Whups. I see he noticed the on-chip USB host controller is on the SoC's
> internal bus, which isn't PCI.
>
> Does anyone know if Hans' new USB stack supports attachment of USB host
> controllers which are not on PCI?

I don't know Hans' new code, but can comment on our legacy USB stack: if the
controller is EHCI-compliant (and I take it it is, as you mentioned USB2
previously), the attachment shouldn't be a big deal. The ehci(4) driver is
well split into the core driver piece and the bus attachment, so it should be
easy to provide your glue code.

As an example, see our EHCI attachment code for Marvell Orion SoC:
http://perforce.freebsd.org/fileViewer.cgi?FSPC=//depot/projects/arm/src/sys/dev/usb/ehci%5fmbus.c&REV=1

It's rather trivial, and we only had to deal with silicon bugs and introduce
some workarounds according to errata.

Rafal