/dev/cfi NOR flash driver

Bruce M. Simpson bms at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 23 13:46:17 UTC 2008

Andrew Duane wrote:
> I have the NOR flash driver that Bill Paul wrote for 6.x, and have been
> getting it going on our MIPS-based boards. One major missing piece is
> all the GEOM stuff for making it behave as a disk drive to mount
> filesystems on.
>
> Is this really missing, or did whoever grabbed it for our 6.1 port just
> get too early a version? If it is missing, is this something that's
> worth back-offering to the FreeBSD community?

I haven't seen this cfi driver of which you speak, can you please point
me at it?

There is John Birrell's NAND driver for the ARM's onboard flash
controller which does the necessary disk creation in Perforce:
    //depot/projects/arm/src/sys/arm/s3c2xx0

I still think it's important that we have some kind of support for the
Linux MTD partition format, manufacturers have a habit of shipping
hardware which uses this because Linux did catch us all napping.

later
BMS