named on NanoBSD

Jed Clear clear at alum.mit.edu
Sat Feb 16 19:20:35 UTC 2008

I just finished enabling a caching DNS server on a NanoBSD based
platform.  I'm not sure if or how I can save all the changes to the /
cfg partition.

If I were to create /cfg/namedb/named.conf et al., would the boot
process that copies out of /cfg respect that /etc/namedb is a sym
link and put it it /var/named/etc/namedb?  Is the copy process even
recursive such that it can handle subdirectories of /cfg?

For that matter where does the copy process from /cfg actually
occur?  I spent some time with grep and strings looking for "cfg" in /
etc and /boot to no avail.  Must be "magic".

Since my config changes will be relatively static, I'm going to build
a new image with an updated /var/named, but still would like to find
out the answers to the above.

Thanks,

-Jed