Eclipse 3.3.1 build

Mike Bowie mbowie at buzmo.com
Thu Oct 18 09:11:35 PDT 2007

Jonas Wolz wrote:
> Ken Yamada wrote:
>> From: Mike Bowie <mbowie at buzmo.com>
>>> One caveat I failed to mention, is that 3.3.1 doesn't build with jdk1.5
>>> so far.  The instructions indicate that it should, but Ken hasn't had
>>> any success as far as I know and I've not looked at it.
>
>>   * Edit the file build.xml:
>>       replacing the tags <property name="javacSource" value="1.6">
>>       with <property name="javacSource" value="1.5">
>>       and <property name="javacTarget" value="1.6">
>>       with <property name="javacTarget" value="1.5">
>
> Just to add another opinion:
> For my personal purposes changing that in top-level build.xml was necessary.
> As I compiled Eclipse with the 1.6 JDK anyway I did not do any of the other
> modifications and it worked for me.
> The reason for this is that I am working on a Eclipse RCP application that
> has to be Java 1.5 compatible (that particular application actually does
> not even compile cleanly with a 1.6 JDK but needs Eclipse 3.3 (and as I am
> not the only developer I can't fix that)).
>
> Seemingly the "official" pre-compiled versions from eclipse.org (for Linux
> or Windows) have a similar change applied as you can run them using a 1.5
> JDK without any problems.
>
> So personally I would prefer to have this integrated into the port.
>
> Jonas

Jonas,

It's good to know that the situation exists.

One of the 3.3.0 port version we had built and ran quite happily with
jdk1.5, but we've not seen the same success with 3.3.1 so far.

I may have a poke at it this weekend and see what we can wrangle.  For
now the eclipse-devel port is tied to jdk1.6 and the upcoming 3.3.1
version will most likely be also, but we'll see what we can do to get
1.5 support in there in the near future.

Thanks again for sharing the specific situation.

Cheers,

Mike.