Help with diagnosing eclipse freezes

Micah micahjon at ywave.com
Tue Dec 27 10:03:47 PST 2005

Hey List,

I asked a similar question back in November.  See
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-eclipse/2005-November/000210.html

A quick rehash: Starting eclipse via the command line "eclipse" takes
~3.5 minutes to start.  Creating a new java project and a new class and
then moving the cursor resulted in a 1 minute freeze.  After it unfroze
typing "System." caused the IDE to freeze for another minute.  The times
seem to be fairly consistent.

This is on an Athlon 64 3000+ system with 1.5GB ram running
FreeBSD-release 6.0 i386 with the generic kernel.  I'm currently trying
to run eclipse-3.1.1_2, but it happened on 3.1.1 and 3.1_3 as well.  A
top indicates that "java" is taking up all available processor time.  No
disk activity is indicated in systat or by the drive LED on the case.
Poseidon, the other largish java application I use frequently, does not
exhibit these freezes.

Since November I've upgraded to FreeBSD 6.0 release, tried compiling
eclipse with JDK15, tried compiling with JDK14, and tried the packaged
version from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/All/eclipse-3.1.1_2.tbz.

JDK15 fails to start crashing with a java hotspot zlib error.
JDK14 and packaged both exhibit the same freezes.

I'm not sure how to begin diagnosing this.  Help with the debugger,
eclipse debugging flags, or tools to watch the system during the freezes
would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Micah