How should eclipse be organized in the ports tree?

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Wed Aug 31 07:58:35 GMT 2005

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 04:15:52PM -0700, Vizion wrote:
> /usr/ports/eclipse/eclipsemainv[x.xxx]     Holds the main eclipse ports
> /usr/ports/eclipse/meta-eclipse[v.xxx]     Holds eclipse plugins loader
> /usr/ports/eclipse/plugins/                        Holds the *.jar files
> /usr/ports/eclipse/misc1                          self contained eclipse ports
> /usr/ports/eclipse/misc2
> /usr/ports/eclipse/miscN

This is certainly much closer to what is in the existing system (given
that the jar files would probably better be in plugins/files/*.jar).
The name 'meta-eclipse' would probably be less confusing to me personally
as 'eclipse-plugins-loader' or something, 'meta' is a term that can
mean everything or nothing.  And if you change 'eclipsemainv' to just
'eclipseY.Z' and 'plugins' to 'eclipse-plugins' then that's very similar
to what we have now.

Then there's the matter of whether all this needs to be its own
category but I don't think I am going to try to talk you out of that
idea.  I'm not too fond of it, personally.

mcl