Importing the latest dis_tables.c

Mark Johnston markj at freebsd.org
Wed May 7 04:00:53 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 10:59 PM, Peter Grehan <grehan at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I'd like to pull in the latest version of dis_tables.c from illumos-gate to
> pick up the recent work done there. This is mainly for using dtrace on the
> bhyve kernel module since it can decode VT-x/SVM instructions, but is
> probably generally useful.
>

> http://src.illumos.org/source/history/illumos-gate/usr/src/common/dis/i386/dis_tables.c
>
>  What's the process for this ? Should I pull this into vendor/illumos-sys,
> or just drop it directly into FreeBSD (which is what the previous commits
> seemed to do) ? Any tips ?

FWIW, vendor-sys/illumos is merged to sys/cddl/opensolaris, but in
FreeBSD, dis_tables.c lives at sys/cddl/dev/dtrace/x86/dis_tables.c
for some reason. That is, it's not under the merge target, so merging
from vendor-sys/illumos might not be possible without first moving
dis_tables.{c,h} to sys/cddl/opensolaris/common/dis.

I think that's at least part of the reason dis_tables.c has been
updated directly in the past, so I don't think it would be problematic
to keep doing it that way until dis_tables.{c,h} are moved (assuming
that that's sufficient to start merging them from vendor-sys). I'm not
100% sure of this though.

-Mark