enabling hardware echo cancellation for TE121

International Centre for Parliamentary Studies icpsuk at gmail.com
Fri May 23 12:07:45 UTC 2014

Hello All

Good afternoon. Hope you are well.

I have searched high and low to get some answer for the following, and
despite trying it for more than two weeks I came up with nothing. So,
I'm sending this to you with a hope that someone from the group/list can
shed some light on it.

I am currently trying to configure a TE121 card that comes with a
hardware echo canceller. I have searched as much as I could on the net,
but I could not come across any document/email/reference that would
enable me to check if the device is enabled or not. As I am using
FreeBSD 9.2 (Stable), the people at digium was unable to help me in this
as well (they told me they only support linux). Would appreciate someone
could please provide me with some pointers, may be the right mailing
list to ask the question to, or any other suggestions you may have.

Below are some information on the current system, not sure if I have
everything ok, but there seem to be no error message (have not actually
connected it yet, will do once I confirm everything is working)

# uname -a

FreeBSD pabx-isdn 9.3-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 9.3-PRERELEASE #0 r265949: Tue
May 13 17:45:18 BST 2014
root at pabx-isdn:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/pabx-isdn  amd64

### extract from dmesgwhen the card actually initializes

dahdi: Telephony Interface Registered on major 196
dahdi: Version: 2.4.0-rc5
te12xp0: vendor=d161 device=8000 subvendor=ffffffff
te12xp0: <Wildcard TE121> port 0xd000-0xd0ff mem 0xf7c20000-0xf7c203ff
irq 16 at device 8.0 on pci4
em2: link state changed to UP
te12xp0: Setting up global serial parameters for E1
te12xp0: Found a Wildcard TE121
dahdi: Registered tone zone 4 (United Kingdom)
te12xp0: Span configured for CCS/HDB3/CRC4
te12xp0: Setting yellow alarm

# cat /usr/local/etc/dahdi/system.conf
bchan=1-15,17-31
dchan=16
loadzone = uk
defaultzone=uk

--------------

I tried putting
echocanceller=hwec,1-15

but then when restarting dahdi I got the error
DAHDI_ATTACH_ECHOCAN failed on channel 1: Invalid argument (22)

If you require further information to point me to right
location/direction, please let me know and I'll try to provide as much
as practically possible, but I sure would like to get this working on
FreeBSD rather than any other options.

Thanks and regards
S Kamal