mfi(4) errors on LSI MegaRAID SAS driver

Lisandro Grullon lgrullon at CityTech.Cuny.Edu
Sun Jan 30 03:05:04 UTC 2011

Thank you Andrew for the tip, I noticed and I was thinking about this...I will check this first thing in the morning when I get to work. I will report back with my results. Lisandro

On Jan 29, 2011, at 8:00 AM, Lisandro Grullon wrote:

> Dear Daemons,
> I have been configuring a box for the past few days with a LSI controller,
> specifically MegaRAID SAS 9280-24i4e. I have been getting some strange
> notifications/warnings under my /var/log/messages from mfi. I tried
> contacting scott who appears to be the maintainer of the driver but never
> heard back, probably my mail ended in his junk box. Anyways, hoping someone
> here can tell me what this is about. Bellow are the notifications/warnings I
> am getting.
>
> Jan 22 17:23:51 plato kernel: mfi0: 2595 (349032232s/0x0001/info) - VD
> 00/0 power policy changed to [ID=00,dps=0, cps=6] (from

Your adapter is attempting to power down idle drives.  If you want to get rid of them (I've seen FreeBSD get very unhappy when you get too many transitions like this), go into the LSI WebBIOS (Ctl-H at boot), go to the adapter properties screen, and disable drive powersave mode.  The exact name of the property seems to vary from firmware to firmware.

-Andrew

Andrew Boyer    aboyer at averesystems.com