intel 82576 ipsec offload?

Siquijor Philips siquijorphilips at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 15:03:16 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 2:17 AM, Jack Vogel <jfvogel at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am Jack, the network engineer at Intel responsible for all FreeBSD wired
> lan drivers.

Hi Jack! Thanks for introducing yourself since I am new to this mailing list :-)

> This is the first I've seen about this. Our understanding was that the
> infrastructure needed
> to do IPSec was not available for either Linux or FreeBSD, can you please
> explain things?

Yes, basically I am implementing an IPsec infrastructure to our
network. Our network is composed of a main office and 3 branch offices
to be linked over VPN. I'm using both FreeBSD and Windows platforms.
Our FreeBSD (7.1-Release) platforms comprises the 4 firewall/gateways
(which should be also our VPN concentrators) as well as our mail
server (7.1-Release). The Windows platforms comprises the local/remote
clients (FreeBSD/Windows XP/Vista) and the Active Directory server
(Windows Server 2008).

Since our 4 FreeBSD perimeter firewall/gateways are currently
processing big amount of traffic, so I have decided to buy these Intel
NICs with IPsec offloading just to make sure it can carry out the
current traffic processing. Aside from that, our local and remote
FreeBSD clients will also be configured on transport-mode IPsec sooner
because these clients are also network intensive hosts. So, from here
I really wanted to have the IPsec offloading be available to my NICs
since I intend to buy these as its primary purpose.

> If everything is there except the support in the driver then I might be able
> to add that to
> my queue.

Yes, please because I really need to have my IPsec infra working sooner.

Thank you so much!

Siquijor