Driver development question

Chris Harrer cjharrer at comcast.net
Fri Jul 17 15:23:36 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction...  I'm developing a
FreeBSD driver for a PCIe card.  The driver controls a hardware device that
has DRAM and various state information on it.  I'm trying to mimic
functionality I have for other OS support such that I can dump memory and
state information from the card to a file I create from within my driver
(kernel module).

For example, in a Linux driver I use filp_open to create the dump file
(represented by fp), then use fp->f_op->write to put information into the
file.

FreeBSD doesn't have filp_* API's.  I've tried searching for example drivers
and googling for file API's from kernel modules to no avail.  Can someone
please offer some guidance as to how I might proceed here?

Thanks in advance and any insight would be most appreciated!

Cheers,

Chris