Proliant DL580 G3 ciss driver problem

Bánhalmi Csaba oxy at field.hu
Sun Dec 20 16:03:58 UTC 2009

Hi!

I have a HP Proliant Dl580 G3 and I tried to install Freebsd 8.0 (then
tried with 7.2 too, bios is the latest both motherboard, both the
controllers). The server has embedded SmartArray 6i scsi raid controller
and a SmartArray 6400i card too.
When I use the SA 6i with the 4 disks the kernel boots well, no
problem.. but! When I connect SA 6400i to the backplane and try to boot
the kernel panics when it tries to load the ciss driver for the SA 6i..
The server works this way: If I use other raid controller than the
integrated, the 6i is disabled.. (no IRQ). I tried to give IRQ for the
6i in the BIOS, but after a reboot it is disabled again..
I see some IRQ related things in the panic log, but cannot do anything
to avoid the panic. Nor without ACPI or single mode helps..
Is it possible to use the 6400i controller?? Unfortunately both
controllers use the 'ciss' driver, so i cannot create a custom kernel
without the 6i driver..
Please help

thank you in advance!
Csaba Banhalmi