Dell USB keyboard

Henry Hu henry.hu.sh at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 06:32:16 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Dieter<freebsd at sopwith.solgatos.com> wrote:
>> My question is, how do I go about writing a userland application to
>> access the extra buttons? Would I have to use ioctl(2) to poll
>> /dev/ukbd0? I would like to write the userland application in order to
>> map them to:
>> XF86Back
>> XF86AudioRaiseVolume
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Can xmodmap(1) do what you need?  Appears to be in ports.

You might try usbhidaction and usbhidctl on the uhid device.
Once I was using a microsoft keyboard, and I hacked the programs a
bit, and wrote a configuration file for usbhidaction, and finally I
can use the multimedia keys.
These programs have problems parsing the Report ID field. You might
have to refer to the HID standard to modify them a bit.

Good luck.