introducing a FreeBSD driver for the Apple Touchpad; and a few questions..

Rohit Grover rgrover1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 13:42:33 UTC 2009

Hello,

I have developed a driver for the Touchpad device on Apple Macbooks. Mine is
a Macbook 3,1, and I run FreeBSD7.2 on it--so testing has sor far been
limited to this configuration. In its present state, the driver supports
multi-tap, edge detection, and movement smothening. The driver creates a
pseudo device: /dev/atp, which expects to be read from moused. You can setup
moused to work with it by adding the following to /etc/rc.conf:
moused_port="/dev/atp"

and then you would also need to tell your X-server to get mouse data from
/dev/sysmouse.

You may get the driver from
git://github.com/rgrover/freebsd-atp.git.<git://github.com/rgrover/freebsd-atp.git>
The git command is: "git clone git://github.com/rgrover/freebsd-atp.git".
I have been using this driver for a while now. It is stable.
Please help me test this driver for a wider range of hardware.

There is more work to be done in the area of movement smoothening.
I am also going to add support for detecting gestures. For this I need to
track strokes.

For my algorithms, I would like to allocate memory dynamically out of a
small pool of fixed sized structures. I have read a bit about UMA; is UMA a
good alternative for managing a small pool (~20) of buffers (of around 20
bytes in size)?

regards,