[RELENG_6] ATARAID oddity

Hideki Sakamoto hsakamt at tsnr.com
Tue Sep 23 04:27:22 UTC 2008

Hi,

> Even if there *is* an appropriate controller in the system, presumably it
> isn't going to work unless the disk is connected to that controller.

As far as understanding, ataraid is software RAID and meta data is just
used to determine whether a HDD is member of a RAID-set or not. And I think it's
probably work even if there is no consistency between a meta data format and
Controler Chip under the situation that the Controller is attached with and
controlled by ATA(ad?) driver.

This behavior may be useful in trouble shooting(e.g. Controller is dead,
all HDD is OK, but I only have the motherboard with different ATA Controller
Chip I used).
So I think it's interesting to consider an (optional) implementation of:
  The ataraid driver can recognize any supported meta data format with all
  supportd Controller Chip. If you want to use a HDD which is used as
  member of ataraid in past time. You must delete or overwrite meta data on
  HDD by hand using atacontrol(8).

Thanks,