problem with rl network card

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Feb 14 13:45:51 UTC 2007

Anatoli Marinov wrote:
 > [...]
 > none1 at pci2:10:0:        class=0x020000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x81391904

Hm.  The vendor ID doesn't match.  Realtek would be 10EC,
but you have 1904.  That seems to be some kind of clone:

http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/iii/?i=1904

If you're lucky, it is compatible so the existing driver
will work with it.

You can try that easily.  In /sys/pci/if_rlreg.h look for
the following line:

#define RT_VENDORID                             0x10EC

Replace 0x10EC with 0x1904.  Then rebuild your kernel and
reboot.  Please let us know if it works ...  If it does,
a proper patch can be made, so both vendor IDs are
supported.

If it still isn't recognized, please boot in verbose mode.
The verbose dmesg output from it might be useful.

Best regards
   Oliver

Handelsregister: Registergericht Muenchen, HRA 74606,  Geschftsfuehrung:
secnetix Verwaltungsgesellsch. mbH, Handelsregister: Registergericht Mn-
chen, HRB 125758,  Geschftsfhrer: Maik Bachmann, Olaf Erb, Ralf Gebhart
Any opinions expressed in this message are personal to the author and may
not necessarily reflect the opinions of secnetix GmbH & Co KG in any way.

"We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing,
are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much, for so long, with so little,
we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."
    -- Mother Teresa