linux cx2388 drivers

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 11 22:32:11 PST 2007

I think I've bugged the multimedia guys enough with this subject. I have a tv tuner which I've been trying for over a year to work on FreeBSD, with no success. I have found out a bundle of info though.

Apparently there are manufacturer drivers for the card on Fedora 4, which is seriously outdated now, and there is only "experimental" drivers for some of the latest linux derivatives.

The card uses a new conexant cx2388x chipset, a phillips saa7134 chipset, and a zarlink mt352 chipset onboard- mainly because this is a hybrid card. Many of the new tv tuner cards are using these chipsets, so if it can be worked out then it may resolve the headaches for many users. It would seem that currently none of the new tv tuners are working at all on freebsd.

The drivers in all cases use a module and create udev devices.

So my question is- how can we adapt these or whatever so that BSD devices are made? Where can I find a crash course in making devices? So far what I've read hasn't been making sense, so some clarity would be appreciated.

Second, where can I find info to use the linux compat api to port the linux drivers to bsd? Apparently the reason why newer drivers were not made (fedora 3-4 had drivers available) appears to be due to a threading issue (multi-thread changes?), so they should work on freebsd if we could adapt the drivers (as far as I understand).

I am very new to this- I've been driven to this due to this stupid card issue- so please be gentle :) Any advice and information would be appreciated.

Cheers