amr driver not working in SMP / apic

Heiko Weber heiko at wecos.de
Thu Sep 1 21:16:28 GMT 2005

Am Donnerstag, 1. September 2005 17:11 schrieb John Baldwin:
> On Thursday 01 September 2005 03:36 am, Heiko Weber wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a Fujitsu Siemens TX200 S2 (2x Xeon on board) with a LSI MegaRAID
> > 320-0X. I configured a RAID 5 disk array - but the problem dont go away
> > if I configure no raid (only physical drives).
> >
> > If I boot GENERIC with "apic" enabled in the kernel the amr driver
> >
> > amr0: adapter is busy
> >
> > three times, then the system hangs. If I disable "apic" the system boots
> > as expected, the logical drive could be used for installation. The amr
> > driver prints two lines about the size of the logical drive instead.
> >
> > I installed the system in "safe mode", everything works as expected. But
> > if I enable "apic", the "busy" comes up. I tried building a new SMP
> > kernel, same as above: using a "one line" empty loader.conf with disabled
> > apic makes the system running. I tried some combinations of acpi, apic,
> > ata-dma, .... (the system only has a ata cdrom). No chance, only disabled
> > apic get it up.
> >
> > I tried FreeBSD 5.4-stable. I also downloaded a (unsupported) driver from
> > LSI webserver, this prints the size of the logical array, but hangs too.
> > I then compared the native 5.4 driver with the -current, only one
> > cosmetic changes. So I expect testing -CURRENT has no effect ?
> >
> > Is it worth to spend time on this? Is it a bug?
>
> What happens if you disable ACPI but leave APIC enabled, does amr still
> break? Also, does 4.x work ok on this system with SMP and APIC_IO?

Hi John !

FreeBSD 5.4 will not boot if APIC is enabled, no matter if ACPI is on or off.
Hey, the tipp with 4.x was great, I downloaded a 4.11-mini-inst.iso, boot was
ok, installed a minimal system, added option SMP with APIC to the
kernel-config, build kernel, and SUPER: 4.11 booted with SMP from logical
RAID 5 array.
Then I downloaded the boot-only image from 6-CURRENT (BETA3), and tried to
boot: SUPER, it looks like the kernel is allready a SMP kernel, it detects
bot Xeons, started 4 (virtual) CPUs as in 4.11. At the setup-screen I viewed
into partitions, sounds ok ...
Hmm, reviewing the boot-log (with scroll-lock) of 6-CURRENT I "missed"
something, which I've seen each boot with 5.4, so I restarted the machine
with the 5.4 cdrom. Just before the mystery "amr0: adapter is busy" there are
3 lines with ata1-master - I thought it is there because there is only a
cdrom installed (harddisk are scsi), but maybe ... :

md0: Preloaded image </boot/mfsroot> 4423680 bytes at 0xc09dde24
ata1-master: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out
ata1-master: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out
ata1-master: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out
amr0: adapter is busy
amr0: adapter is busy
amr0: adapter is busy

Well, now, what to do next ? Go into production (apache webserver with perl &
mysql database) on an "older" 4.11 or an really new 6-BETA3 ?

Heiko
--
Heiko Weber : heiko(-at-)wecos.de