Regarding AsciiDoctor and long lines

Daniel Ebdrup Jensen debdrup at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 12 17:09:00 UTC 2021

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 03:09:35PM +0100, Sergio Carlavilla wrote:
>On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 at 13:45, Marc Fonvieille <blackend at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> Le 10.02.2021 17:03, Daniel Ebdrup Jensen a écrit :
>> > Yeah, I'm perfectly fine with doing it like how manual pages work, ie.
>> > the one-sentence-per-line workflow, if I understand it.
>> >

>> One sentence per line makes the read of diff/commit logs really
>> difficult.  I gave up reading the commit logs because of that.
>> It's really a pain to find what changed without even talking about the
>> edition of a long non-wrapped line in an editor.
>> Some languages are very verbose, so we would end with very long lines.
>> For a such change seems so backward.
>>
>> > I'll be re-working the handbook/x11 chapter to that at some point. :)
>> >

>> Please don't.
>>
>> --
>> Marc
>>
>Hi,
>
>I know that this approach it’s causing some confusion with the diffs tools.
>But instead of using a different way that recommended from the AsciiDoctor
>team I think we should try to focus on getting a solution in the diff tools.
>
>Maybe we can talk with the AsciiDoctor team.
>
>Bye.

Hi folks,

Marc does have a point, which I think is quite valid. A lot of people do
reviews of code in the email they're sent, where - at least for the
commits, it's inlined - and pursuant to discussions about this
elsewhere, that doesn't seem likely to be changing any time soon.

If diffs were attachments with the text/x-patch or text/x-diff
mime-type, it'd be up to peoples MUA and possibly their .mailcap as to
how it should be opened, but that's not something that's doable with the
current setup.

So I do think wrapping to 72 columns is the better option here, if we
want to retain the broadest review possibilities.

Yours,
Daniel Ebdrup Jensen