Vim ASCIIDoctor syntax highlighting

Glen Barber gjb at freebsd.org
Thu Apr 8 13:36:52 UTC 2021

Hi,

Since the conversion from XML to ASCIIDoctor, I have not made any major
changes to our documentation outside of release-related items.  One
thing I noticed in the few "larger" changes I have made is that the
default Vim ASCIIDoctor (*.adoc) syntax highlighter seems to be very
aggressive to the point of slowing down any input/editing, which has
become severely frustrating at this point.

My ~/.vimrc entry for *.adoc files is rather uninteresting:

-------------------------- begin quoted text ---------------------------
setlocal number
setlocal syntax=asciidoc
setlocal filetype=asciidoc
setlocal shiftwidth=2
setlocal textwidth=0
setlocal noautoindent
setlocal nosmartindent
setlocal fileencoding=utf-8

Does anyone have any advice on any tuning I could do to my .vimrc, or an
alternative ASCIIDoctor syntax highlighter that does not make me want to
kill baby rabbits?

Thanks in advance.

Glen