post-installation tasks after creating a virtual machine from an image

Guerin, Paul James paul.guerin at dxc.com
Mon Nov 18 10:26:44 UTC 2019

Hi ,
In reference to the following document on virtualization:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/virtualization.html

The problem is that there is no information regarding the post-installation tasks after creating a virtual machine using an image file.

For example, I have downloaded the following image file for virtualbox: FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64.vhd

That file is a virtual machine image to download and import on a virtual environment of choice. There are images for KVM (“qcow2”), VMWare (“vmdk”), Hyper-V (“vhd”), and raw device images that are universally supported. These are not installation images, but rather the preconfigured (“already installed”) instances, ready to run and perform post-installation tasks.

After I create the virtual machine with the vhd image file, the root is already installed. However this file has no free space, so the root mount-point is already 100% utilized.
As the root is 100% utilized, I'm unable to download any packages or do anything else to the root.
However I can manually create other vhd files, and partitions, and mount them to the virtual machine.

I have tried to extend the root using the current documentation. The documentation does have an example, where the swap partition is dropped to free space, then the root is extended. I tried to do the same in virtualbox, but I think the problem is that the space freed by the drop of the swap file is before the root mount point, not after. So the instructions in the documentation did not solve the problem.

There just needs to be some post-installation tasks defined in the documentation, so that the virtual machine is usable after creating a virtual machine using an image.

cheers,
Paul

DXC Technology (Philippines) Inc - Registered Office: 5th Floor, Three World Square, 28 Upper McKinley Road, McKinley Town Center, Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City, Manila 1630, Philippines. Registered in Philippines No: CS201308751.
DXC Technology Company -- This message is transmitted to you by or on behalf of DXC Technology Company or one of its affiliates. It is intended exclusively for the addressee. The substance of this message, along with any attachments, may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information or information that is otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate any part of this message. If you have received this message in error, please destroy and delete all copies and notify the sender by return e-mail. Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind DXC Technology Company or any of its affiliates to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such purpose. --.