Document Enhancement 2.3.1.1. Writing an Image File to USB

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at mit.edu
Sat Jan 19 18:38:26 UTC 2019

On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 02:54:17PM +0000, Rob Hulley wrote:
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/bsdinstall-pre.html <https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/bsdinstall-pre.html>
>
> For OSX
>
> # dd if=FreeBSD-10.2-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img of=/dev/da0 bs=1M conv=sync
>
> Should read bs=1m or it will fail. (lower case m instead of upper case M)
>
> It should be obvious from the error message but might help someone.

FreeBSD has, of course, accepted the uppercase letters as synonyms since
r132933 (July of 2004).  It seems that while Mac OS (at least on the High
Sierra I have handy) only accepts the minuscule 'm', Linux will only
accept the majuscule 'M' (!).

So it's probably more appropriate to make a note about the argument not
being fully portable than to try to adjust the example to work everywhere.

-Ben