Issues with FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE Release Notes

Anders Andersson pipatron at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 18:12:59 UTC 2018

Hi! I just received the FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE Release Notes
(https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.2R/relnotes.html) and noticed two
issues with the "Trademark" preamble:

> IBM, AIX, OS/2, PowerPC, PS/2, S/390, and ThinkPad are trademarks of International Business Machines Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.

ThinkPad is not a trademark of IBM.

>Many of the designations used by manufacturers and sellers to distinguish their products are claimed as trademarks. Where those designations appear in this document, and the FreeBSD Project was aware of the trademark claim, the designations have been followed by the “™” or the “®” symbol.

I'm not sure if this is actually followed in the rest of the
documentation, but ® and ™ are really only supposed to be used by the
owner of those trademarks - they are the ones to claim the ownership.
AFAIK, the only special handling given to a trademark is to treat it
like a proper name, so "I installed Windows" instead of "I installed
windows".

IANAL but I suggest that you remove pretty much everything of that
legal preamble, perhaps only saving "FreeBSD is a registered trademark
of the FreeBSD Foundation.".

Kind regards,
Anders