Interested in helping with documentation

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Sat Jul 7 18:18:03 UTC 2018

On Fri, 6 Jul 2018 at 17:09, Sid <sid at bsdmail.com> wrote:

> > I'm pretty new to the community, but I'm interested in helping out in
> various ways. I don't know that there's a lot I can contribute yet
> (being so new), but I have noticed there are places in the documentation
> that are out of date and I could fix. For example, section 5.6.1 lists
> the Xorg xdm config files as being in /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm which it
> seems they are not in newer versions of FreeBSD. I found them in
> /usr/local/etc/X11/xdm. So at least when it comes to noticing errors
> like that, and fixing them, I think I can contribute.
>
> > I know the basics of Docbook and version control, so if there is a
> preferred way to submit corrections using diff files or something, I
> should be able to pick up on that fairly quickly.
>
> > Anyway, I'd love to help out, and just looking for some guidance on how
> to get started.

Sid gave you the correct links to get started. I will also echo that
the documentation committers are understaffed. That said, I wouldn't
take it the way Sid has: it does take some chasing of people to get
commits it, but it means that even small-time contributions can have a
big impact.

Also, while my development computer is dead, and thus I can't commit
to much right now, I take mentoring new people to be much more
important than my own commits: if you submit patches I'll try to
review and commit them ASAP.

--
Eitan Adler