29.3.3.1 PF

Chandra Kirchrath kirchrath at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 08:15:10 UTC 2017

Hi! I am really new to FreeBSD and especially to networking so maybe it's
just me but I think there is a little error in the documentation (chapter
29.3.3.1 - PF).

 - xl1 is the external Interface connected to the internet
 - xl0 is the external local interface

This rule is comprehensible: pass from xl1:network to any port $ports keep
state
(I read it like `pass everything from the internet to the allowed ports`)

The following confuses me:
"For example, a $localnet macro could be defined as the network directly
attached to the internal interface ($xl1:network)"  - I thought $xl1 is the
internet/external interface - why is it called $localnet?

Is this an error in the documentation or did I miss something?

Thank you in advance!
Chandra

BTW: The handbook is really great and easier to understand than the most of
howtos out there.