having trouble making changes to the handbook

Ernie Luzar luzar722 at gmail.com
Sat May 20 13:17:31 UTC 2017

I am following the info in this link
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/

I installed the textproc/docproj package.

The above link says that svn is installed as part of that port. But it
really is not. Have to use the built in svnlite command.

The shown command
   "svnlite checkout https://svn.FreeBSD.org/doc/head ~/doc"
downloads far more items than wanted. This needs better example of just
downloading the desired language version of the handbook plus any
"shared directories" required for "make command" to work. How do I do this?

I ran the "igor -R filename.xml | less -RS" command on the chapter I
wanted to work on before making any changes. To my surprise a bunch of
error are shown. Since these error are all already in the handbook
source I see no reason why I should try to correct them.

When I ran the "make" command the resulting html files are just written
into the directory that "make" was run from. How do I tell "make" to
write the output to a location of my selection?

What is really lacking is a way to view the changed output in a command
line browser. Installing a desktop just to view the changed handbook is
not an acceptable solution.