Introduction & question / comment regarding source tree documentation

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 1 08:41:25 UTC 2017

On 01/03/2017 03:29, Peter Looyenga wrote:
> Note: I don't mind if I send in suggestions and then see them not getting
> accepted, that's all part of the game. But it would be bad for me when I
> start working on this, only to discover that someone else was already
> working on it so I basically ended up wasting my time.
>
> Hope you guys can give me some pointers on this.

The best approach is to jump right in.  I suggest you start by making
some relatively small but self-contained changes, and submit them via
bugzilla or a phabricator reviews.  Mostly to get used to how the
process works, and make contact with other people that work on this area
of the docs.

I wouldn't worry too much about treading on anyone's toes -- there is
always more work to do than there are people to do it, so a motivated
volunteer is worth their weight in gold.  If someone already is drafting
some updates to this area, then they should respond either to your
e-mail or to any PRs or reviews you create.  Their likely response would
range from "Would you like to take over work on this?" to "Here's what I
have already.  How can we merge it with your changes?"

	Cheers,

	Matthew