23.6. Rebuilding World

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 10 13:08:41 UTC 2017

On 2017/01/10 12:39, Ertan Küçükoglu wrote:
> These old days, for a make world, handbook was saying that after successful
> compilation of world and kernel, we install kernel and then reboot into
> single user mode.
> Current handbook is saying that we build world, kernel. Then install kernel
> and drop into single user mode. No testing of newly build kernel.

ITYM:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html ?

That description certainly does appear to be a bit inconsistent.
Specifically step 5 says:

  "Drop the system into single-user mode in order to minimize problems
   from updating any binaries that are already running. It also
   minimizes any problems from running the old world on a new kernel.

   # shutdown now"

But if you follow the commands as shown, you're still running the old
kernel and just about to overwrite the old world with a new one at this
point...

Either Step 5 should specify '# shutdown -r now' and select 'Single
User' from the boot menu, or the sentence about 'old world on a new
kernel' should be amended.

As to whether a reboot into single user mode is always necessary?  A lot
of the time it probably isn't -- if you're running -STABLE or -RELEASE,
you're not upgrading over a major version change or some other large
delta in versions, and you're not making any kernel configuration
changes, then you're probably OK.

Otherwise, if you're on -CURRENT or making significant changes then
definitely test the new kernel in single user mode before installing the
rest of the world.  Or use ZFS boot environments.

	Cheers,

	Matthew