PAM Documentation

Rocky Hotas rockyhotas at post.com
Sat Nov 5 15:49:03 UTC 2016

Hello!
I would like to signal some issues in the FreeBSD PAM Documentation, available at link:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pam/

1) Even if maybe PAM isn't so often updated, this guide is "Copyright © 2001-2003", so maybe too much old.
2) Chapters 6 and 7 are blank.
3) Section 2.2.3 is about a "Sample policy". It could be a /etc/pam.d/sshd example file, the only example in the whole guide (wouldn't be more convenient to add other examples?). The elements of the configuration files are listed; but what about the actions that PAM will take following that configuration lines? In particular, informations about the order (why have the lines be sorted in such an order) and the possible actions caused by each lines are missing. This is also related to:
4) Can the Table 1 in Section 4.3 be better and more explicitly explained? I think it is not possible to understand it very well as it is now.

Thanks for your help.
Bye,

Rocky