lsof

Jason Helfman jgh at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 13 17:51:33 UTC 2016

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 9:29 AM, Ömer Gülmen <freebsd-doc at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hello,
> On this page:https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/ports-finding-applications.html
> the code "# whereis lsof" does not work as shown.
>
> Because this page:4.5. Using the Ports Collection
> has not met yet. So this code "# cd /usr/ports/sysutils/lsof # make install" has not run yet.
>
> Please obey chronology.
> Regards.

You are correct, however this command is preceded by the following content:

If the Ports Collection is already installed, there are several
methods to query the local version of the ports tree.
To find out which category a port is in, type whereis file, where file
is the program to be installed:

With this, I believe this should address the issue.

Thanks,
-jgh

--
Jason Helfman          | FreeBSD Committer
jgh at FreeBSD.org     | http://people.freebsd.org/~jgh  | The Power to Serve