Updating Porter's Handbook title page (books.xml)

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Mar 3 00:39:06 UTC 2016

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016, Michael Gmelin wrote:

>> On 02 Mar 2016, at 20:32, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 2 Mar 2016, Michael Gmelin wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just noticed, that the porter's handbook title page still shows
>>> copyright 2014 and a commit from 2014:
>>>
>>> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/
>>>
>>> "Revision: 45423
>>>
>>> Copyright © 2000-2014 The FreeBSD Documentation Project
>>> Copyright
>>> Legal Notice
>>> Last modified on 2014-08-08 by rene."
>>>
>>> Should I post a patch or is there an automatic process that needs to be
>>> fixed?
>>
>> The "last modified" date comes from the $FreeBSD$ tag, but only the one in the book.xml file.  So it is misleading, and usually not the date of the most recent update to the book.  Fixing this would require scanning the document sources for the most recent date in the doc toolchain, which is possible, it's just something that needs to be done.
>>
>> I'll update the copyright, and that will also change the date in book.xml.  So it will be correct until one of the other files changes...
>
> Thanks.
>
> I noticed when I forwarded the link to a young talent that the "last changed" date of 2014 didn't look encouraging in terms of contributing to a vibrant community.

Agreed.  I've pointed this out in the past with the Handbook.  What
needs to be done is extract the version string from all of the SRCS
files:

   make -V SRCS | xargs perl -ne 'print "$2 $1 $3\n" if /\$FreeBSD: \S+? (\S+?) (\S+? \S+?) (\S+?) \$/' | sort | tail -n1

Easy to set as a make(1) variable, but more work to implement in
freebsd-common.xsl.  Help welcome!